
Don't throw that pumpkin away!
Fresh Pumpkin Puree
If you want a wonderfully mild flavored pumpkin pie try using a fresh pumpkin. For your pumpkin pie, boil up that pumpkin. I do this a day or two before I want to actually make the pies and refrigerate the pureed pumpkin in a covered container or freeze it in 3 cup portions.

Cut a 10 inch diameter pumpkin into about 4 inch squares and place the pieces into a large pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and let it cook on low for about 1 hour. Pour the softened pumpkin into a strainer to cool and to drain off the liquid. When the pieces are cool, scoop off the meat of the pumpkin with a serving spoon, separating it from the tough skins. Discard the skins and drain the pumpkin again. Then puree it with a hand blender or other tool. If more juice separates, drain it off. It is now ready to be used but can be put into an air tight container and refrigerated for a couple of days before using or it can be frozen.
If you want a wonderfully mild flavored pumpkin pie try using a fresh pumpkin. For your pumpkin pie, boil up that pumpkin. I do this a day or two before I want to actually make the pies and refrigerate the pureed pumpkin in a covered container or freeze it in 3 cup portions.

Cut a 10 inch diameter pumpkin into about 4 inch squares and place the pieces into a large pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and let it cook on low for about 1 hour. Pour the softened pumpkin into a strainer to cool and to drain off the liquid. When the pieces are cool, scoop off the meat of the pumpkin with a serving spoon, separating it from the tough skins. Discard the skins and drain the pumpkin again. Then puree it with a hand blender or other tool. If more juice separates, drain it off. It is now ready to be used but can be put into an air tight container and refrigerated for a couple of days before using or it can be frozen.


4 comments:
I am suddenly wishing I'd carved a pumpkin this year... :) Can you make the pies early and freeze them if you used the canned pumpkin that you can buy at the store?
Oh yummy! Pie is my favorite to eat and make. I am not an expert so I hope to learn much from you.
Hugs, Bobbi Jo-AZ
Delicious looking pies!
Joyce, you're truly an inspiration!
Post a Comment